THE ANNOTATIONS FOUND ON THE REVERSES OF THE MILITARY MEDAL INDEX CARDS [Volume III]
by C.K.Bate & H.J.Williamson 2019. 350pp.
This OMRS Gold Medal winning study is the first published part of The MM Project. It covers the annotations entered on the reverse of the Military Medal (MM) Index Cards. These have never before been published. The full entry from the MM Roll is given with the annotations noted in italics at the end.
In 1997 Chris Bate, William Spencer and Howard Williamson rescued 121,000 original Great War MM Index Cards, due for destruction, from the Army Records Centre, Hayes. They collected them on a Wednesday, just 2 days before they were due to be incinerated!
The PRO (now TNA) had copied the front of each card to a microfiche, but they did not copy the card reverses. Howard & Chris found that some 10,500 cards had annotations on the reverse and these have now been extracted to create a separate roll, which they present in this book.
Their project to create a comprehensive and accurate MM Roll has taken authors Howard Williamson and Chris Bate over 22 years to complete. This new MM Annotations Roll is the 3rd volume in their growing series of highly detailed publications about the MM.
The entries from the Nominal MM Roll contain: Name, rank, unit at the time of the award, Schedule Number, Registered Paper Numbers, casualty details, citations and random notes.
The annotations are largely administrative notes made by clerks at the Army Medal Office and deal with the general administration of the awards of the Military Medal from 1916 to 1993.
These annotations contain notes on:
- Forfeitures and restorations of the MM
- Notes on all MMs where replacements have been made
- Notes on amendments to naming or repairs
- Details about MMs lost and found
- Next of kin (NoK) details with home addresses and verifications for awards
- Applications for information on MMs and verifications for awards
- Citations for awards
(Those in italics are from the MM cards, those in normal typeface are from other sources)
- Enquiries from NoK, often with home addresses
- Applications for medal replacements or information from the Dominions Governments
- Requests for gratuities
- Name changes and aliases
- Rank corrections
- London Gazette dates for amendments, cancellations, forfeiture etc
- Details of MMs returned under King’s Regulations and Army Orders
- Notes on ‘Special Gazettes’ and ‘Special Awards’
- Notes on MMs awarded in error
- Details of medals scrapped with a wide variety of reasons
- Applications for bars to MMs
- Clarifications on regimental numbers
- Clarifications on unit MM won serving with
- Requests for medal to be officially presented
- Requests to trace awards and verify them
- Soldiers home town noted in a number of cases
The information contained in this Annotated MM Roll often provides the collector & researcher with information not available elsewhere. It also gives a fascinating account of the work of the Army Medal Office as well as AG10 and MS3 offices at the War Office
They have spent a great deal of time processing the information contained on the card reverses and include an Appendix of Abbreviations noted with explanations. For the first time ever, they have also created a list of forfeitures and restorations taken from the reverses and from the London Gazette
Limited edition of only 250 copies
Condition: New Hardback; A4 format on silk paper & thread sewn
NOTE: UK only price is £38.00 plus £5.00 UK Signed For P&P
For overseas orders, please contact us first for special P&P rates
Your order will be fulfilled by a third party
See also THE AWARD OF THE MILITARY MEDAL for the CAMPAIGN IN ITALY 1917-1918 [VOL IV] - by C.K.Bate & H.J.Williamson 2020 - Click Here